Saturday, January 17, 2009

Seven Things About Me

Thanks, Angela, for tagging me for the "7 Things You May Not Know about Me" meme. I've really enjoyed reading these on everyone's blogs, and it is a good assignment for me to get me back on the blogging bandwagon. Apparently I need a meme a day in order to have something to say.

Here are 7 things you may not know about me- 
1. After I graduated college I rode my bike from Boulder, Colorado to Guatemala. I didn't actually ride the whole way...there were some planes, trains and automobiles involved  (even a boat) but always with the bike, and I did ride much of the way. Someday I may even publish my journal from this trip (don't hold your breath). It is comical and maybe a bit perceptive in its metaphor of life as a bicycle ride. 

2. I was co-editor in chief of my high school newspaper, The Nova Vue. I wrote scathing editorials about such important issues as homework and graduation requirements. Truthfully, I don't remember what I wrote about, just that I was passionately opinionated. Some might say I still am, although I am much more tempered these days. Looking back, I was so immature I probably didn't deserve to be given the job of editor-in-chief, but my teacher, Mr. Moore, put up with me and showed faith in my potential. I never thanked him. Thanks, Mr. Moore. You were a great teacher!

3. I went to college at the University of Michigan. It was a great school, but that was not my main motivation for choosing it. Very important to me, having grown up in South Florida, was to live where it would snow. The morning after the first snowfall of my freshman year I was up early, so excited, trying to wake up everyone in the dorm. I thought we would build a snowman, have a snowball fight, go sledding. My fellow freshmen, who were all from the North, were not amused nor did they have any intention of leaving their warm beds to play in the snow. After 4 years of ice-cold winters I had enough experience with snow and moved to California then, later, to Florida. Now my children feel deprived of winter fun just like I did.

4. I've always worked multiple jobs at the same time and switched jobs frequently. I could never imagine working a "normal" job or staying in one job for a long time. If I go back to my current job next school year (which I hope to do) it will be my 4th year at the same school, the longest I've ever stayed at one teaching job. 

5. While living and teaching in San Francisco, I worked a night job for 10 years as a cocktail waitress at the Warfield and the Fillmore, both legendary music venues. That is where I met my husband. 
The Fillmore -isn't it beautiful?

6. I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for over 20 years. I am not a "real" vegetarian because a few years ago I started eating the occasional piece of fish, mostly salmon. I stopped eating meat after reading this book for a class in college. I try not to be too picky and just go with the flow about food when traveling, eating at friends' homes, etc. 

7. In my true nature I am a night owl. I could sleep late every day if I had my way. I try to make myself go to sleep at a decent hour so that I'm not tired in the morning.

I have read a variation of this post on so many blogs that I don't know who is left to tag. If you have not yet done a "7 things meme" post, you are officially tagged.

1 comment:

Blogger In Middle-earth said...

Kia ora Andrea!

What an interesting cornucopia of things about you.

Fillmore IS beautiful. A cocktail waitress? Yum! 'Spect you know a thing or two about mixing them too. My 2nd eldest daughter is an accountant but she is working as a barista in Canmore USA while she saves enough cash to continue her travels.

Snow is not everyone's cup of tea. I have fond memories of watching it snowing, but the memories of actually being amongst the snow are not so. The -28 degree C bits are what put me off playing in the snow.

I guess I've done my 7 things recently.

Catchya later